Tweet Button

Sunday 24 July 2011

My Thoughts on Google+


One of the great things about studying the Web is that you can sign up for new social networks and feel like its justified in your quest to understand the Web’s development. I would have signed up for Google+ regardless of whether I was studying Web Science or not, but doing so means that I don’t feel like I’m wasting time trying out something which basically just replicates the features of other services I use, and instead it has got me thinking about the potential disruption it could cause to the current ecosystem of social networks. 


Facebook
The most obvious competition and obstacle to Google+ taking off is Facebook, the world’s largest social network. While it is undoubtedly popular, there have been many news stories over the years of outrage at Facebook’s privacy policies – this possibly being the biggest flaw in an otherwise all-conquering business. I’ve heard people talk of the Circles feature of Google+ being the main revelation in the new service compared to Facebook, as if the ability to limit the visibility of certain posts to certain groups of people is something new. What people seem to be forgetting is that Facebook has had a similar feature for a while now: Lists. Lists allow users to group users into Lists (for example I have a Web Science list), and when wanting to post something to just these people it is easy to just click the privacy padlock next to the ‘Share’ button and customise the exposure.

The hype over Circles given this existing Facebook feature could be down to a number of possible explanations. Maybe the feature isn’t prominent enough on Facebook (which I would personally disagree with - the options for customising a post on each network are both right by the corresponding button to publish something). Alternatively, it’s possible that the majority of people on Facebook just aren’t aware that this is a feature that could actually be useful for them (well, until they post something that they regret after their boss reads it…). It could be a combination of both these points: the subset of people who perhaps do think its useful maybe didn’t realise it was available on Facebook (based on people I’ve spoken to, not many people did!), and are now interested in it enough to consider Google+. I’m 99% certain, however, that there will be far more people who don’t realise the importance of such a feature and will therefore see no reason to change. Coupled with such a large existing user base, I don’t see Google+ replacing Facebook in the same way that Facebook brought about the demise of MySpace. 

Twitter
One of the other advantages of the Circles feature in Google+ is that you can add other users into a Circle of people who you want to follow, but don’t know personally – much in the same way that on Twitter you can follow anyone, regardless of whether they follow you back or not. Where it builds on Twitter’s core feature is that those people you follow can decide to post messages publically (so that you and anyone else who is ‘following’ them can view it, or post them to specific circles – meaning that they can use the network for both publically commenting on something and sharing more sensitive information with just close friends and family.

The other distinctive feature of Twitter is that messages are constrained to 140 characters. This is not so on Google+, allowing a more constructive, meaningful and insightful message to be created. Replies (in the form of comments) and the central “+1” aspect of Google+ show up directly below the original message, rather than the linear timeline displayed by Twitter. While on the one hand this helps to make a discussion more readable at a later date, Twitter’s way has the advantage of offering something closer to a live stream of what people are saying. It’s because of this that I believe Twitter offers something different enough to be unthreatened by Google+, in the same way that Twitter was able to grow in an already Facebook-dominated world. Twitter is a great outlet for news, both professionally and amateurs commenting on events occurring around them. It’s linear timeline, and constrained length messages mean that posts are always short enough to consume quickly, and appear when they are most relevant.


LinkedIn
Unlike Facebook and Twitter, LinkedIn is not a service that I personally use. It is, however, the service I hear everyone use as an example when talking about a non-socially-oriented online network – it is instead a professional network, with the aim of establishing and maintaining professional connections. I think this is something which Google Plus and Circles will also provide a solid solution for – adding colleagues and contacts into one or more specific circles means that people can maintain these connections in the same network that they post updates about their private lives, but prevents them from being read by the wrong people. With this possible, the question of whether a completely detached network for professional contacts is still required is raised.


My view on the future
I’ve heard people claim that Google+ will bring about the end of Facebook. With 750 million active users, I don’t see this happening, but I don’t see any reason why the two services can’t coexist together. Google+ seems to be popular with the early adopters, the tech-savvy crowd who are likely to be a lot of the same people who first joined Twitter – and they succeeded in making that service popular enough to catch on. If enough people realise the advantages that Circles can offer to them, then I can envisage a number of scenarios.

As I said before, I think Facebook will be safe. The users who didn’t know about the Lists feature and who want to be able to share different things with different people may very well migrate to Google+, but with their existing digital presence on Facebook it is likely that they will leave their account intact, and maybe just reduce the time spent on it. I imagine that the users who don’t appreciate the value of a Circles feature will see no reason to even contemplate leaving (unfortunately I think this is the majority of people who are unaware of the repercussions of posting certain things), meaning Facebook’s massive user base will largely be left intact.

I think Twitter will also be safe, but I could see it becoming even more news-oriented – the first outlet for providing information on a developing subject or commenting on a live event before a more thoughtful and detailed post can be created. It is Linkedin that I really think should be most threatened by the introduction of Google+ as I see no reason that a professional network should be separately maintained if you can control who sees what. Obviously LinkedIn has the advantage that it is already established, and Google is playing catch-up, but the way that Google+ is so easily accessible through the same login that millions of people already use for email makes it entirely possible.

So finally, for the following stereotypical personas, here is my take on how the 4 discussed social networks will be used in the near future:


The Tech Community (Technology journalists/reporters, entrepreneurs, programmers etc)
Facebook – reduced usage but still a presence to maintain contact with other friends/family who aren’t ready to abandon ship.
Twitter – continued usage to spread news, follow live blogs of product announcements etc, general commentary of what’s happening
LinkedIn – reduced usage, favouring Google+
Google+ – high level of use, especially to communicate with other like-minded people, and used for professional contacts via separate Circles.

Tech-Savvy Students
Facebook – steady usage, but slowly declining as they convince more and more of their friends to try Google+
Twitter – slightly reduced usage as they favour the stream of posts with comments on Google+ or Facebook, but continue to use Twitter for checking the latest live information
LinkedIn – minor usage from those with some professional experience
Google+   - slow increase of use as more people to decide to try it.

Not so tech-savvy Students
Facebook – continued addiction, with no reason to change
Twitter – some usage as there is currently, but not universal
LinkedIn – minor usage from those with some professional experience
Google+ - minor usage from those with enough signed up friends to convince them. Possible use during coursework where the advantage of having a social network circle and a collaborative document editing suite (Google Docs) under one login could prove advantageous.

Casual Social Network Users (Parents, grandparents etc…)
Facebook – continued casual use to keep up with children and distant friends/family etc, could reduce if this group are convinced to use Google+ instead, especially if these people already use a Google service and have a login.
Twitter – minor usage to follow news etc
LinkedIn – possible use if they’ve ever signed up during their professional career
Google+ - minor usage especially to begin with, possibly increasing if family members convince them to switch for features such as Hangouts (group video chat where for example grandparents could see their grandchildren etc)


This is a scenario that I can imagine happening – but is only my opinion based on some early thoughts and discussions I’ve had about Google+. What does everyone think, will it succeed, and if so will it cause any other sites/networks to decline? Let me know in the comments below.



6 comments:

  1. What do you think could be the impact organisationally? I see potential wins for google+ as an internal tool for large organisations, especially those that are already using Google Apps, as a collaboration tool and internal social networking tool (something that is massively increasing within most large companies). This could then spawn more casual use as people are more exposed to it at work.

    The only other thing i like is that it's basically Facebook 5 years ago - filtering out all the rubbish apps and noise. How long will that last...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Google+ has shown that it isn't features that influence how people use technology, but the way that those features are presented. My own use of Google+ is a hybrid of Facebook (friends) and LinkedIn (professional).

    Why? You're right that Facebook provides the same ability to slice and dice your contacts into groups with whom you can share different things just like Google+'s circles. But Facebook lists are not emphasised, they are there but understated and largely ignored - The preserve of privacy-geeks. G+ makes a massive thing out of circles and actively encourages me to do the grouping. Whereas on Facebook I add friends and group as an after-thought, I HAVE to group people on G+.

    The psychological differences are fairly big. G+ encourages the view that it's OK to add people I know professionally. After all, I have a circle called "Work" and another called "University". Facebook forces me to label them "friends" and then categorise them later - Many of the people in my G+ circles are not "friends", sending a "friend request" would be out of the question.

    Not only am I encouraged to add all and sundry to whichever circles I think they belong, I don't have to worry about bothering them with a (potentially inappropriate) friend request - On G+ relationships are directed and needn't be reciprocated. I can add someone to a circle without forcing them to accept or reject me. Perhaps this is more comfortable for me because I'm trying to avoid rejection - I don't know, I'm not a psychologist.

    Feature-wise Google+ and Facebook are (in their core functions) fairly similar. But psychologically and culturally they are worlds apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom – I think organisationally it will be as you say (and similar in a way to how I see it taking off for students) – so many people already use some form of Google’s service, it’s going to be so easy to integrate it with them. As Richard mentions in the next comment, adding professional contacts is encouraged and if this does happen then I’m sure it will take off as professional people join and then they introduce it to their families etc.

    Regarding the apps and noise that’s not yet on Google+, it may not be too long before they are (unfortunately - I hate them on Facebook!) – see http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/30/google-code-reveals-intent-to-unleash-games-and-questions-to-th/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points all round Richard, and a prime example of why Web Science needs to be interdisciplinary! I think the ability to have both social and professional contacts in one network is going to be a huge advantage for Google, and while I can see Facebook surviving as it is because of its massive established user base, I think LinkedIn is in trouble – from what I know of it, it just doesn’t have enough to warrant a separate site/profile to maintain. As a user of it, what do you think – is Google+ a threat to it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good post - I just came across your work as your following me on Twitter and I attended the Web Science Trust event at the Royal Society on May 23rd, in London. I also met Tim-Bernes Lee in NYC about a month later at the Internet Society event.

    If I understand you rightly, WebScience studies the changes in the Web, so that you actually look at the people who would use Google+ by segment (which you had listed more segments) - I find that an interesting and refreshing approach to analyzing and predicting changes - more akin to database marketing or web analytics - something I'm very familiar with.

    In fact, since your looking at the Web from a savvy, technical and anthropological approach, viewing the changes on the Web almost as a the Web, itself, were an organism (which it is) - then you might enjoy reading my book on Social Media Analytics that just was published this week by McGraw-Hill.

    If you like I can request that you receive a review copy or you can download a Kindle copy if you want to read it immediately

    (http://www.amazon.com/Social-Media-Analytics-Intrepreting-ebook/dp/B005EPUAJC/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1294889726&sr=8-1).

    I'm very much interested in joining the Web Science Trust - it seems to me a more "genuine" progression past the Web Analytics Association, which is still marketing focused. I'd like to go past that ... .past the personalities and right into the study of Web. But my feeling was, based on what I saw, that Web Science isn't a society you just join, it's more of a course curriculum with seeks to impart to students in accredited programs a method of disciple in order to understand the totality of the changes on the Web by looking at it via the Scientific Method.

    Correct?

    Let me know if your interested in reading a copy of my book.

    ~marshall

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marshall, thanks a lot for the feedback! Firstly, apologies for the slight delay in both publishing and replying to this comment – I’ve been away for the week without Internet access. The offer of a review copy of your book is very kind and posting summaries/reviews of the books that I’ve read around the Web Science subject area is something I’ve been considering for a while now so I would be very grateful indeed if you could send a review copy. My dissertation is focusing on analysing and quantifying the effectiveness of marketing campaigns on social media, so your book really would be ideal!

    I think, at the moment, that you are mainly correct in your interpretation that Web Science is largely focused around a course curriculum, although the Web Science Trust has many partners in industry who are all interested in the topic to complement the growing number of institutions offering courses in it. The course focuses on looking at the Web from no single point of view - it is as much a social sciences course as it is a technical one, providing a thoroughly interdisciplinary view of the Web so that the changes and development can be properly understood. I’m not entirely sure about how one goes about joining the Trust, but this is something I can potentially find out from the members of the Trust at my University if you like?

    Thanks a lot once again for the kind feedback and offer regarding your book. I hope my future posts continue to be of interest to you!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete